Monday, September 13, 2010

Bananas After Dark

I was just eating my midday snack, a banana, when I noticed the Dole sticker on the peel. It said Go Bananas After Dark and listed a website. Usually, I am not suspect to fruit label advertising, but it intrigued me. I was thinking it had something to do with how eating a banana before bedtime can stir up nightmares. Nope. The website lists dinner recipes with bananas as a key ingredient and other interesting factual and nutrition info. I guess they are trying to increase the consumption of bananas. They're not just for breakfast anymore! Well, they have me convinced. One of their recipes for Grilled Bacon Maple Banana Bites looks delicious. But what isn't delicious that's wrapped in bacon?




INGREDIENTS:


· 1/4 cup maple syrup
· 8 slices center-cut bacon
· 2 large DOLE© Bananas
· 1tsp. chili powder

· 1tsp. chili powder

DIRECTIONS:

· preheat gas grill to medium heat
· spray grill grates with cooking spray or lightly oil
· pour maple syrup into shallow dish
· place bacon onto a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels
· cover with another paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute or until bacon just barely begins to cook, but is still pliable and not crisp
· sprinkle peeled bananas with chili powder
· cut each banana into four roughly equal pieces
· roll each piece in maple syrup and wrap in one slice of bacon
· serve with toothpick 
· grill on medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until bacon is nicely browned & crisp, turning occasionally
· serve immediately


No comments:

Post a Comment