Sunday, December 14, 2008

12 Days of Christmas: Recipe #1 Struffoli


This recipe I am about to share with you brings back fond memories of Christmases at my Aunt's house in Scarsdale, NY. Growing up, we would travel to New York every year for Christmas. My family would pack up my mom's Volvo station wagon and drive from Charlotte to Scarsdale in one trip. I always looked forward to this trip because it meant good Italian food and playing card games with my Grandma. I would save up all of my change for the whole year so that I could play cards with her and lose it all. I didn't particularly like that part, but I loved spending time with her. My Aunt would have a variety of Italian pastries and cookies out in the dining room to munch on throughout the day. My sweet of choice was always Struffoli. I love how festive it looks and the sweetness of the pastry dipped in honey is just delightful. I have the recipe for it and have yet to make it because I am trying to watch my waistline. Horrible time to try to watch your figure, I know... so maybe you can try out the recipe for me!

INGREDIENTS
·3 cups all purpose flour
·4 eggs, beaten
·1/4 cup butter
·1/2 cup sugar
·1/2 tsp. salt
·2 tsp. baking powder
·1 tbsp. lemon zest
·1 1/2 cups honey
·3/4 cup pine nuts
·2 1/4 oz. colored sprinkles


INSTRUCTIONS
·Melt the butter or margarine over low heat.
Mix together in a large bowl 2 & 1/2 cups of the flour. Add sugar, baking powder, lemon rind, and salt. Make a depression in the middle. Drop the eggs and melted butter or margarine into the depression made. Mix with a wooden spoon and then with your hands, until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour as needed. Knead dough on floured surface.

·Break off pieces of dough and roll into ropes about the size of a pencil. Cut into pieces 1/4 inch long. Roll these pieces into little balls and set aside.

·In deep frying pan, heat oil about 2 inches deep. Fry ball until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

·In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 1/2 cups of pure honey to a boil. Let honey boil gently for 3 minuted before adding little dough ball, stirring gently with a wooden spoon until the are well-coated.

·Remove balls from honey with a slotted spoon and place in a deep dish or mound them on a platter. Sprinkle surface evenly with nuts and multi-colored sprinkles. Let cool.

Mangia!

2 comments:

  1. I love the 12 Days of Christmas Recipe idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I found this as a second hit on Google! I went to look up strufoli to see if anyone in
    charlotte was making it and there you were! I called Aunt Mary and read your blog and she and I both cried! I loveyou for your special
    heart Liz. Mom

    ReplyDelete