Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Homemade Taffy


I found this recipe for homemade taffy in a children's science experiment book at my my boyfriend's mom's apartment over the Thanksgiving break. I was very intrigued because I didn't even know you could make homemade taffy, assuming it was too difficult. All I need is to get my hands on a candy thermometer and I will be all set.

INGREDIENTS
·1 cup sugar
·1/4 cup water
·2 tbsp. vinegar
·1 tbsp. butter
·1/2 tsp. vanilla
·deep pot
·mixing spoon
·candy thermometer
·plate

INSTRUCTIONS
·Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in deep pot. Clip candy thermometer to the side of the pot. Boil to 265 degrees or to the "hard ball" stage. (A drop of the mixture form a ball in a cold glass of water.)
·Add butter and vanilla, then pour onto a buttered plate to cool. It will be cool on the outside but hot on the outside. Butter hands and work mixture into a ball.
·Pull, fold, twist, and mix as much air into the mixture as possible. The taffy is done when it becomes a creamy color and difficult to pull.
·You can cut into pieces and wrap in wax paper for individual servings.
I am not sure at what stage food coloring or flavoring could be added, but this would be fun to experiment with, too. These would be great for Christmas gifts!

Let me know if you are brave enough to try it...

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment