Sunday, June 27, 2010
This meal was the result of trying to avoid meat, using up 'less than fresh' veggies in the fridge, and a craving for Italian food. Sometimes restrictions breed creativity. Here's my creative and delicious solution...
· Portabella mushroom
· tomato sauce (in a jar is just fine)
· Italian bread crumbs
· Italian blended shredded cheese
· fresh basil leaves for garnish
· saute Portabella mushroom in a pan over medium heat with a little drizzle of olive oil and chicken stock to keep it moist while cooking (if going for truly vegetarian-you could use wnater here, instead)
· sprinkle mushroom with garlic powder, salt and pepper
· preheat the oven to 350°
· toast and mix bread crumbs in a pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp of butter and juice of 1/2 a lemon
· once the Portabella mushroom is cooked, place it on a basking sheet upside down and press the bread crumb mixture into the under side of the mushroom
· top with tomato sauce
· sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake in the oven until cheese is melted (about 8-10 minutes)
· garnish with fresh basil leaves
Voila! A yummy meatless meal. I will definitley be making this again real soon!