Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fava Beans with Whole Wheat Pasta



Ever since hearing the quote from Silence of the Lambs, fava beans had never really seemed that appetizing to me. You know the one... "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." Hearing it use to send chills up my spine, but now that I am a big girl, horror movies don't seem to bother me as much. And, I am not in favor of passing judgement against any fruit or vegetable unless I have tried it and not liked it. That doesn't happen very often, though.

I don't think I would have seeked out fava beans at the grocery store, they just happened to be fresh at the farmers market. Buying what is fresh is always better even if it is an item that I am not familiar with. It gives me the chance to learn and try something new.

Preparation: I boiled the whole wheat pasta and made a quick sauce of olive oil, lemon juice, freshly grated Pecorino cheese, freshly ground pepper, and kosher salt. It was a simple and yummy pasta dish. I will say that prepping the fava beans was a little more work than I though it would be, but well worth it. You first have to remove all of the beans from the pods and then blanch the pods to soften for easy removal of the outer shell. Once you remove the beans from the outer shell you then have to boil for about 3-5 minutes to cook the fava beans.

top picture: from oswego tea

No comments:

Post a Comment