Monday, November 23, 2009

Mayan Harvest "Fake"

I love Kashi meals! When I am running late in the morning and do not have time to prepare and pack my lunch to take to work, I grab a Kashi meal out of the freezer. It's easy, delicious, and healthy. I have sworn off Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones forever. I love the fact that everything in the Kashi frozen meals is hearty, whole-grain, and yummy. A few months ago, I discovered their Mayan Harvest Bake frozen meal. I read the box at the grocery store and after reading the ingredients and seeing that there was 9 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber, I figured I would give it a whirl. On the box read plantains, black beans, sweet potato & kale over Kashi 7 whole grain pilaf, amaranth and polenta- with and ancho chili sauce. Let me tell you, it tasted as good as it sounded! I felt like I was in a high end vegan restaurant. The flavors are so unique but go together so well. Knowing that a meal this good was good for me too, made me a Kashi beleiver. This meal kept me full all day.

After picking up some fresh plantains at the River Market one weekend and not having any clue what to do with them, I looked online for recipes. On a whim, I searched for Mayan Harvest Bake to see if a recipe existed. To my surprise, it did!

Recipe for Mayan Harvest Fake Spark People user ERIN2214
serves 6

INGREDIENTS
· 1 cup prepared quinoa

· 1 15 oz. can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
· 1 plantain, sliced into long planks (I used two)
· 4 cups kale, chopped
· 1/2 cup pepitas

ancho chili sauce:
· 1 tbsp. evoo
· 1 onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves
· 1 cup tomato puree
· 2 tbsp. tomato paste
· 1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
· 1 tbsp. sugar in the raw
· 1 tsp. paprika
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. cumin
· 1/2 cup vegetable stock (I used chicken stock)

DIRECTIONS
· preheat the oven to 400 degrees
· puree onions and garlic in blender with stock
· add tomato puree, tomato paste, onion puree, sugar and spices to a small soup pot. Heat over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
· scatter sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, drizzle with evoo, roast for 15 minutes.
· heat a large skillet over medium heat, add chopped kale, a few tablespoons of water and a spinkle of salt. Wilt down and toss for 5-10 minutes.
· spread prepared quinoa in a baking dish, top evenly with black beans. Top with cooked kale and sliced plantains.
· take sweet potatoes out of the oven, scatter around the baking dish.
· top entire casserole with ancho chili sauce.
· bake for 20-25minutes at 400 degrees until bubbly.
· sprinkle with pepitas.

This meal made me proud that I could cook something so healthy, satisfying and delicious. A vegan meal that satisfies JJ- now that's a feat! The sweetness of the plantains and potatoes mixed so well with the spicy ancho sauce. The pepitas added such a nice crunch to finish off the dish. We had leftovers for days. I don't think I will need to stalk the frozen food aisle anymore.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. I also love Kashi frozen meals, and this one is my fave! Thanks for posting this recipe...I'm trying it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete