Thursday, September 24, 2009

Udon Miso Soup


A couple of weekends ago, after shopping at the River Market for fresh produce, I decided to drop by the Asian Market. If you can get past the heavy aroma of fish (I only breathe through my mouth), it can be quite an experience. There are ingredients there that you cannot find any place else and the prices are pretty hard to beat, as well. On this particular shopping trip, I picked up a few different packages of noodles; whole wheat, buckwheat, soba, and udon. I also grabbed a couple of varieties of mushrooms and tofu. They had frozen packages of shumai which I ended up taking to a friend's house that night. They were delicious little dumplings that only needed microwaving for prepping.

I couldn't wait to get my ingredients home and start cooking. I didn't know what I wanted to make while I was shopping, but I was inspired by a soup that JJ ate over Christmas last year in L.A., traditional Ramen. Reminisce with me. I didn't use pork belly or hard-boiled eggs, but the soup was pretty tasty. I decided to cook the udon noodles in a soup. They came with a miso seasoning packet, so the rest of the cooking was pretty much just figuring what else I wanted to go in the pot. I guess you could say it was a little more authentic version of Ramen Noodles. (you know...you lived on them in college...) The udon noodles came already cooked and vacuum sealed. Udon is my favorite, because the noodles are so chunky.

INGREDIENTS
· 1 full package of udon noodles with the flavoring packets
· 3 cups water
· 1 package of oyster mushrooms
· 1 package of enoki mushrooms
· 1 grated carrot
· 1 package of form tofu, sliced into cubes
· 2 green onions, sliced
· 3 tbsp. of soy sauce

DIRECTIONS
· follow instructions on package to cook udon noodles.
· add in the remainder of the ingredients
· let simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors marry.
Use chopsticks for the noodles and a soon for the broth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment