Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Time to Make The Donuts


I apologize for the light posting lately. It is not due to lack of cooking or lack of eating for that matter. A couple of weekends ago, I made homemade donuts for breakfast and surprised JJ in bed with them. It is a lot easier than it looks. I found the recipe in a Real Simple few years ago and remembered it because it was truly "real simple."

INGREDIENTS
· tube of biscuits from the grocery store (Grands makes larger donuts)
· canola oil (or vegetable)

· cinnamon sugar

DIRECTIONS
· Mix the cinnamon & the sugar together. Just under a 1/2 cup for one tube of biscuits.

· Pour the canola oil in a pan just covering the bottom of the pan over medium heat. I am not a big fan of frying because it is not healthy but mostly because hot oil in the kitchen scares me. But, for donuts, it is essential.

· Open of the tube of biscuits (which for me, is a daunting feat. I never know when it will pop and I do not like surprises.)
· Cut out the centers of the biscuits to create the donut shape. I use a pineapple corer. (Keep the centers- those will be your donut holes!)

· Put a few of the donut shaped biscuits in the pan when the oil has reached it's temp. They will cook fairly quick. You are going for a golden brown color and once one side has reached golden brown, flip the donut to cook the other side.
· Once your donuts are cooked in the oil, take them out of the pan and place them on a plate layered with paper towels. This will absorb the extra oil.

· Then, dip your cooked donuts in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on a serving plate.

· Repeat steps until all biscuits and donut holes are cooked and sugary.

Best served warm.


You donut know how good these are until you try them!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment