Sunday, September 20, 2009

Alaskan Halibut


I was so delighted when my friend, Linda, came back from a recent trip to Alaska and brought me back a fresh cut of Alaskan Halibut. She knows I love to cook and handed over a one pound cut of the fish. I think that must have been the sweetest and most thoughtful gift I have ever received! Linda caught the fish herself while in Homer, Alaska. The Halibut was about 35 to 40 pounds and was filleted right on the dock. It was then taken to a processing plant where it was cleaned and flash froze on the spot.

I kept the fillet in my freezer for a few days trying to decide the best way to cook it. It was a little intimidating because I wanted it to be perfect. Since it was so fresh, I decided to go simple and let the fish speak for itself. I put a little olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, and frutti de mar seasoning on both sides of the fish and placed it in my grill pan just over medium heat.

The fish was succulent and mild, meaty yet flaky. It was absolutely delicious and the freshest fish I have ever cooked for myself.

Thanks, Linda!

The picture above was taken during her fishing excursion.
See the mountains in the background? Beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment