Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Original Fannie Farmer Cookbook


While staying at my boyfriend's grandma's house in Houston a couple of weeks ago, I came across a charming cookbook in the guest room one night. I was having a hard time sleeping and reached over to the bedside table and found the Original 1896 Fannie Farmer Cookbook from the Boston Cooking School. I perused the gilded pages in search of a simple recipe that I could experiment with. I found two.

Pineapple Lemonade
1 pint water
1 cup sugar
1 quart ice water
1 can grated pineapple
juice of three lemons

-make syrup by boiling water ten minutes and adding sugar, add pineapple and lemon juice, strain and then add ice water.

(I know Summer is over, but I could not resist this sweet drink recipe!)

Rice Waffles
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup cold cooked rice
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. melted butter
1 egg

-mix and sift dry ingredients; work in rice with tips of fingers; add milk, yolk of egg well beaten, butter and white of egg beaten stiff, cook as waffles.

(I haven't tried this one yet, but I am thinking about it for brunch this weekend. They sound delicious.)


I will let you know how it goes. I love finding recipes from all over and filing them in my recipe binder. Some people collect figurines or coins...I collect recipes.

Many more posts to come from my trip to Memphis this past weekend. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment