Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Meata Balla Subba!


What to do with leftover French bread....hmmm....I know!
Make a meatball sub! I am Italian and that is just the easiest question of the day.

First, I mixed together the ground turkey, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, and garlic. I made medium size meat balls and placed them in a non-stick pan with evoo. They needed to brown on all sides to make sure they were cooked throughout. Once the meat balls were cooked, I cut the bread in half and placed three meatballs per sub roll. I cut the meatballs in half before putting them on the sandwich, so there were 6 halves on the roll. Then, I placed the cut pepperocinis in between the meatballs, poured the sauce over it and sprinkled cheese on top. They went into the oven at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes and then I broiled them on medium for about 4 minutes until nice and crispy. Wow, were these subs a mouthful! I love the addition of the pepperocinis. Our favorite local Italian eatery does this, so I guess I stole their ingenuity. Imitation is the best form of flattery, right?

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. ground turkey meat
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup of egg beaters (or 1 egg white)
1 finely chopped garlic clove
3 tbsp. evoo
4 pepperocinis (sliced in half and de-seeded)
2- 6 inch french bread loaves
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of tomato sauce

Mangia!




No comments:

Post a Comment