Sunday, May 17, 2009

Healthy Apple & Strawberry Muffins


I woke up this morning and wanted something freshly baked. I adjusted my homemade blueberry muffin recipe and added apples and strawberries instead. My apples were not as fresh and crunchy as I normally like to eat them, so baking was a good alternative for my "less than fresh" fruit. My strawberries were a few days from freshness, as well. The lemon zest was added for another dimension of flavor. It was the perfect Sunday morning breakfast. Actually, now that I think about it, that is all I have eaten today. I guess the whole wheat flour really sticks to your ribs.

INGREDIENTS
· 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
· 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (sugar substitute- 1/3 regular cup sugar)
· 2 tsp. baking powder
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 2 egg whites
· 3/4 cup milk (if using brown rice syrup, only put in 1/2 cup milk)
· 1/4 cup cooking oil
· 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
· 1/2 cup peeled, chopped apples
· 1 tsp. lemon zest

INSTRUCTIONS
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
· Grease twelve 2 1/2 cup muffin cups or line with paper baking cups
· In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
· In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
· Add chopped fruit and lemon zest. Mix well. Mixture should be lumpy.
· Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Fill each 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
· Serve warm with butter.

Happy Sunday!


4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way this morning! Only I made banana bread: http://thekitchensinkrecipes.com/2009/03/29/take-two/
    Must have been the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins sound so yummy. I'll have to try your recipe. I did some baking of my own today, I made cupcakes. They aren't as healthy as your muffins, but definitely tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! I am from north of Kansas City Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote out your recipe and I'm about to go make them for myself. I hope I don't mess it up. Thanks for the easy but yummy looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete