Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dark Chocolate Covered Apricots



INGREDIENTS
· 1 bar of dark unsweetened dark chocolate (100% Cacao)
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 3 tbsp. agave nectar
· about 30 dried apricots

DIRECTIONS
· create a double boiler on the stove top by simmering 1 cup of water in a large pot and
placing a bowl on top that doesn't touch the water. (the steam from the simmering water
will slowly melt the chocolate; preventing it from burning)
· break apart chocolate bar and place in bowl over simmering water
· add the agave nectar and slowly add the heavy cream
· stir slowly until all ingredients are incorporated together and the chocolate is nice and smooth
· in the meantime, cover a sheet pan with parchment paper
· remove the bowl of melted chocolate from the stove and dip each apricot in the melted
chocolate so that half of the apricot is covered
· place on parchment paper
· once all 30 apricots are dipped, place sheet pan in fridge to chill for about an hour

I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found on-line because I accidentally bought unsweetened chocolate at Whole Foods. I saw the 100% Cacao on the chocolate bar and in an attempt to fulfill my craving with something healthy, snatched it right up so fast I didn't quite read the entire label. I had plans to make chocolate dipped something but I wasn't quite sure what. I always love when my friend Lizzie makes chocolate dipped apricots, so I thought I would give it a shot. The agave nectar was added to sweeten the bitter chocolate, and boy was it bitter... I broke off a piece to give it a little taste and I couldn't get it down with our some water. Not only did the agave nectar add the perfect amount of sweetness while still letting the earthy cacao shine through, it made the chocolate so shiny and smooth. These apricots turned out very rich from the dark chocolate. If you are not a dark chocolate fan, I would not suggest this recipe. It is only for true chocolate lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment