Monday, March 1, 2010

Aromatic Oatmeal


I was on an oatmeal kick a few weeks ago. The temperatures were a bit cold and the pantry was a bit empty. Since I invested in the 20 lb. box of oatmeal from Costco, I will never go hungry. It really has a way of just warming you right up and sticking to your ribs. I have always loved oatmeal because it's classic, healthy, and easy, but it was beginning to bore me. I would normally just throw about 1/2 cup of old fashioned rolled oats into a small pot with 1 cup of water and when it is cooked and creamy, spice it up with either cinnamon and agave nectar or a little honey. (I've noticed how much creamier the oatmeal gets over stove top versus in the microwave.) On a whim, I pulled some star anise out of a spice jar and decided to drop it in the pan while the oatmeal was cooking. The heat of the stove really infused the oatmeal with that sweet, almost licorice flavor. I sweetened the anise flavored oatmeal with some agave nectar and sprinkled it with slivered almonds. Suddenly, oatmeal wasn't feeling so dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment