Monday, January 18, 2010

Pina Colada Cupcakes


Being that it is a new year, I am trying to keep up my resolution along with the rest of America: eat healthier and exercise more. I notice around this time of year, my gym is so packed- it drives me nuts. I can never find a parking spot and the elliptical machines are hard to come by. I hope it begins to taper off in February because I take it anymore. I'm all for people getting healthy, I just wish they would do it at another gym! Not being able to control the exercise half of my resolution at all times, I can most certainly be in control of the eating healthy portion. I found this yummy recipe in my 200 Under 200 recipe book. It's great for anyone trying to cut calories.They taste like full fat, full flavor cupcakes! Trust me!

recipe: 200 Under 200
INGREDIENTS
Cupcakes
· 2 cups moist-style yellow cake mix
· 12 oz. canned crushed pineapple in juice (not drained)
· 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
Frosting
· 4 oz. canned crushed pineapple (drained)
· 1 Jello-O sugar free vanilla pudding snack
· 1 1/2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese (room temp.)
· 1/8 tsp. coconut extract
· 1 packet of no-calorie sweetener
(I added a large scoop of fat free cool whip to make the icing a bit more fluffy)

*For garnish, I also added one chunk of fresh pineapple and unsweetened all natural cocnut flakes for crunch.

DIRECTIONS
· preheat oven to 350°
· in a medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients and mix until blended
· refrigerate until cupcakes are ready to be frosted
· in a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix with undrained pineapple
· add coconut extract and mix until thoroughly blended
· line a 12 cup muffin pan with baking cups and evenly distribute cake mixture among the cups
· bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (check if they are cooked fully by completing the toothpick test)
· allow cupcakes to cool completely, then evenly distribute frosting over the tops.
· refrigerate until ready to serve
makes 12 servings

The crushed pineapple makes these cupcakes so moist and delicious. You would never know that the recipe didn't include eggs and oil. The icing is sweet and creamy and the added crunch from the coconut flakes is a must. These iced pina colada goodies weigh in at about 115 calories a piece. That's pretty damn good for anyone counting calories. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment