Tuesday, December 22, 2009

12 Days of Christmas: Recipe #1 Carrot Ginger Soup

INGREDIENTS
· bag of carrots (If they are large carrots, they need to be peeled and cut into smaller pieces to cook evenly)
· 3 inches of grated fresh ginger
· 16 oz. of chicken stock
· salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

- boil carrots and grated ginger in chicken stock until tender.
- once tender, transer to blender or food processor to puree.
- add salt and pepper to taste
- be creative with the garnish

I topped my soup with homemade tortilla strips. I picked up fresh corn tortillas at the grocery store that were made with just corn, water, and lime. I brought oil to medium heat in a saucepan and threw in portions of chopped fresh corn tortillas to fry up. Once they were crispy, I took them out of the hot oil with a slotted spoon and added salt, lime juice, and lime zest to them. I then placed them on a paper towel to soak up extra oil to allow them to dry. These tortilla strips added such a nice crunch and another element of flavor.

This soup is very simple to make and the flavor is somewhat refined. I enjoy recipes like this when there is not much around the house. They use up fresh ingredients in the best way- by making them shine.

This soup could also be served chilled (in the summertime).
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment