Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes


My mom recently visited us in Kansas City. We had made plans to dine out for bascially every meal that she was here for. But, I would not let her leave without cooking at all for her. Breakfast is the best meal to cook for guests in my opinion. You can get up before anyone in the house is awake and once they start to smell the delicious aromas coming from the kitchen- they all somehow make their way to the kitchen. Since it is fall, and I am really into making everything reflect the season. I opted for Pumpkin Pancakes. It's a simple twist on my normal pancake recipe.

INGREDIENTS
· 1 cup whole wheat flour
· 1 tbsp. brown sugar
· 1 tsp. baking powder
· 1/4 tsp. baking soda
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
· 1 beaten egg
· 1 cup skim milk
· 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
· 2 tbsp. cooking oil
· 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
· butter and syrup for serving

DIRECTIONS
· combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; set aside.
· combine the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and oil. add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. stir until moistened (should be a little lumpy). add additional milk to the batter if necessary. fold in chopped pecans.
· for a standard pancake, pour 1/4 cup of batter into a 3 inch circle on a hot lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown. serve warm with butter and syrup.

These pancakes were simple and perfect for a chilly fall morning with some coffee. The whole wheat flour really keeps you full past lunch time.
Try them!


3 comments:

  1. I am definitly making these this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I'll try this onw too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! The Watson's are coming to KC. G loves pancakes! Liz I had no idea. I will have to try these. I love the blog.

    ReplyDelete