Monday, January 5, 2009

Organic Dried Fruit with Goat Cheese and Pistachios

I tried this hors d'oeuvre for the first time at one of my friend's parties. I loved how fresh and pretty the dried apricots looked on the plate and they tasted even better. The bright orange color of the apricots with the white of the goat cheese and the pop of green from the pistachio just looked like art on a plate. I am a graphic designer so these small details appeal to me. She got the idea from a local Kansas City caterer, Moxie catering.

After purchasing some organic produce at the Santa Monica market over Christmas, I decided to incorporate my fresh finds into this dish. I used the organic dried apricots, organic dried elephant heart plums, and the pistachio nuts that we bought from the California pistachio farmer. This hors d'oeuvre is quick and easy and doesn't need a lot of preparation. They were a hit at the New Year's party as there were none left on the plate.

The lady that sold us the pistachios mentioned that they would bring us good luck in the new year to come. I am not familiar with the pistachio being a New Year's tradition, but I decided to make these anyway. Whether they will bring about good fortune or not, your taste buds will definitely think so...

INGREDIENTS
· dried apricots (or any other dried fruit)
· goat cheese
· shelled pistachio nuts

INSTRUCTIONS (super easy)
· Lay the dried fruit flat on a serving plate. Pat a small amount of goat cheese into the center of each dried fruit. Press the pistachio nuts into the goat cheese one per piece.

Happy 2009!

1 comment:

  1. ooh! This sound delish... all of my favorite things together!

    ReplyDelete