Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Calzone Craving


My mom was in town this weekend and along with going out to dinner a few times, I knew I had to get a home cooked meal out of her. I tried to recall meals she used to make when I was growing up that I loved and I thought of her Calzones. I mean, these things could have won awards. I probably haven't had one in over 10 years and I have been craving them for the same amount of time. I thought this would be the perfect time for her to teach me her secret recipe. (not so secret anymore!) I had been talking them up to JJ over the past few years so he was equally excited to give them "a go."

We started off by finding a local pizza shop that would sell us unbaked pizza dough. My mom and I ended up buying
3 small (already rolled out) pizza doughs from Waldo Pizza for only $1.50 each. I think it was totally worth it because it saved us the trouble of having to make the dough ourselves. Once we got the pizza dough home, we took a rolling pin and rolled out the dough. We also rubbed both sides of the dough with a thin layer of flour to prevent sticking to the counter top. We prepared a baking pan by coating the bottom with EVOO and preheated the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, we mixed about 24 oz. of ricotta cheese, 12 oz. of mozzarella, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Then we separated the mixture into three parts equally for each calzone and placed each portion in the center of each pizza pie. We then folded over the pocket and used a bit of egg wash and the tip of a fork to seal the edges. There shouldn't be trapped air in the pocket, so do your best to seal the calzone by letting all the air out if you can so the dough doesn't rize too high. Once closed, we made sure to rub down the exterior with EVOO and sprinkled salt and pepper before baking. We baked the calzone at 350 degress for about 20 minutes and then flipped them for 5 minutes. They came out golden brown and crispy. My calzone was so huge that I can honestly say it satisfied my craving for another 10 years. Plan for leftovers. :)

You can get creative with the fillings and make it your own. You could add basil, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella; sausage and peppers; or even a mixed vegetable calzone with Italian cheeses.

Although, I am excited that I learned a new recipe from the Mama Italia kitchen, I am sad because I wish we could cook together more often. I really enjoy learning new things in the kitchen and watching her magic. I know the next time I eat a Calzone, I will think..."this doesn't even come close to my mom's!" and I will be reminded of our wonderful weekend together. Thanks, Mom.

INGREDIENTS
(serving size: three large calzones)
·pizza dough
·ricotta cheese (large container)
·mozzerella cheese
·parmesan cheese
·EVOO
·one egg
·flour
·salt and pepper

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment