Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Supper: Orange Roughy with Sweet Potatoes & Green Beans

I apologize for the lack of home cooked meals since I have started this blog. We have been traveling so much lately and have had no groceries to cook with.

Have I mentioned how much I love Sundays? There are many reasons why Sunday is my favorite day of the week and here are a few of them: the whole day is yours and you can decide what to do with it; from sleeping in and being lazy all day or getting up early working out and running errands. I normally go to the market on Saturday so on Sunday I have a whole fridge filled with fresh fruit and veggies to cook with. I love opening up the fridge and seeing the endless options of meals right there in front of me. JJ and I usually eat together on Sunday nights, so I take the time needed to prepare a delicious feast for the both of us. Sunday night, I prepared Basil & Lemon Orange Roughy with mashed Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Green Beans. Here's how it went down:

I preheated the oven to 400 degrees. While the oven was heating up, I prepared my two Orange Roughy filets by rubbing them down with a little EVOO, (did I just write that?- Rachel Ray bugs the hell out of me, but it is a pretty useful acronym when writing out recipes, I'll give her that.) Then, I sprinkled them with a little sea salt, pepper, all purpose seasoning, garlic powder, and the juice of half of a lemon. I chopped up two green onions, 5-6 leaves of basil and spread it over both fillets. I baked the fillets for about 20 minutes. While the fish was cooking, I started two pots of boiling water on the stove top; one for the sweet potatoes and one for the green beans. I peeled one large sweet potato and cut it into small cubes, uniformly cut so they all cook at the same time and dropped them into the boiling water. I was able to tell when they were done by taking a fork and trying to break off pieces of the potato. When it breaks apart easily with a fork, then it is tender enough to mash. I strained the hot water and began mashing the potatoes with a tbsp of butter, a tbsp of brown sugar, and a sprinkle of salt. The green beans didn't take long to blanch and when they were ready I strained the water and sprinkled them with sea salt. Sunday Supper was ready.

The sweetness of the basil in the Orange Roughy really complimented the mashed sweet potatoes. The green beans were clean and refreshing. JJ mentioned that the mashed sweet potatoes were the best potato dish he had ever eaten. I love his enthusiasm for my cooking. It is one of the main reasons why I enjoy it so. I don't know if they were best potatoes ever, but they were pretty darn good. It was my favorite part of the meal. We were both very satisfied and thus cleaned our plates!

Sunday Supper Recipe:
FISH
2 Orange Roughy filets
1/2 lemon
2 tbsp EVOO
2 green onion stalks
5-6 leaves of basil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp all purpose seasoning
salt/pepper to taste

MASHED SWEET POTATOES
1 large sweet potato
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
sea salt to taste

GREEN BEANS
1/3 lb. of fresh green beans
sea salt to taste

1 comment: