Tuesday, September 2, 2008

HOTLANTA Hot Spots



After traveling to Atlanta over Labor Day weekend to visit friends, I was overly impressed with the amount of cool, new restaurants that have popped up there in the past few years. Every block holds a hip new eatery with a one word name. Having lived in Atlanta before moving to Kansas City in 04, I thought I would be familiar with my old city. I was not, however. I felt left behind. Why wasn't anyone telling me how cool Atlanta was becoming? I guess it was always cool, I was just a starving student when I lived there and could barely afford to pay rent. I mean they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing- right? There are so many hot spots it would be hard to hit them all.


We did get to hit one hot spot: Spice Market. It is a newly opened restaurant owned by world renowned chef, Jean-George Vongerichten, and is located in the W hotel in midtown. Spice Market features cuisine inspired from the street food of South Eastern Asia. The eclectic design and exotic patterns caught my eye. When you first walk in you notice enormous wooden boxes that drop from the ceiling encasing ropes of gold bells that hang over raised banquettes toward the center of the open dining area. Oriental silk pattern pillows line the seats. I loved the antique bird cages filled with mismatched porcelain spice jars along the wall.

But the food is what I should really be writing about! Spice Market participates in Midtown Restaurant Week which means on a certain week of the month, you can pick certain items from a pre fixe menu for only $25. You can pick an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert. This is my favorite way to dine because you get smaller portions, but get to sample more dishes. I also love a bargain. I was sold! I chose to go with Charred Chili Rubbed Beef Skewers with Thai Basil Dipping Sauce for my appetizer; Spicy Shanghai Noodles with chilled silken tofu with garlic and herbs for my main dish; and for dessert, Ovaltine Kulfi over a carmelized banana covered in a spiced milk chocolate sauce. It was all delicious but the dessert was freaking amazing. It stole the show. Three other people at our table ordered the same dessert and everyone else was jealous. The mixture of the chocolate with carmel corn and the carmelized banana was heavenly. There were sprinkles of a green herb of some kind but I could not figure out the taste. I normally have a discerning palette, but I couldn't figure this one out. I thought it was fennel, but it was sweet. It could have been anise, but the only anise seed I have seen is brown. Anyway, I guess it will be a mystery, but my mouth will never forget it. If you are ever in Atlanta, I suggest you check out this new hot spot and if you live there, put it on your list!

2 comments:

  1. We live right across the street from the Spice Market! I haven't checked it out, but I will be sure to go there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meal looks amazing. Damn, its too early in the am to get hungry all ready!

    ReplyDelete